Who Are We?
We are a UK-based grassroots campaign, led by Uyghur human rights activist Rahima Mahmut. We seek to bring together individuals and organisations to campaign for the human rights of Uyghurs.
We aim to build awareness in the UK of the crimes being committed against Uyghurs and other Turkic groups by the Chinese Regime. We would like to see UK society – from NGOs to faith groups to student societies – doing all it can to speak out against the infringement of Uyghur people’s human rights, and to challenge complicity. We work with communities, congregations and consumers to help people to come together to take action to protect Uyghurs and prevent genocide.
Rahima Mahmut, Executive Director
Rahima is an Uyghur human rights activist, interpreter and translator, and singer. She became Executive Director of Stop Uyghur Genocide in 2020, after spending years building a cross-community coalition pushing for greater action on the on-going genocide of her people. Rahima has extensive experience of advocating for her community; as a translator, she has worked closely with survivors to bring breaking news reports, and interpreted witness’ testimonies during the Uyghur Tribunal. She has played a key role in galvanising UK civil society against the atrocities the Chinese regime is perpetrating against her people. Rahima is also currently UK Director of the World Uyghur Congress, and Advisor to the Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China (IPAC).
Edie Martin, Campaign Officer
Edie joined Stop Uyghur Genocide in 2021 after interning for a number of human rights organisations, including the Centre for Women’s Justice and close SUG partner, Rene Cassin, the Jewish Voice for Human Rights. Edie is responsible for the strategic development and implementation of Stop Uyghur Genocide’s campaigns. Alongside her work with us, Edie is also currently undertaking a human rights masters at UCL.
To get in touch with Edie, email her at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Isabela Rodrigues, Strategic Advisor
Isabela joined Stop Uyghur Genocide in 2021 after graduating from Edinburgh University with a bachelor’s in English Literature. Isabela provides support on Stop Uyghur Genocide’s campaigns, communications and organisational strategy. She has led our Uyghur stories project, for which we are collecting the testimony of Uyghurs living across the UK. She also works with Rahima in the World Uyghur Congress London Office.
To get in touch with Isabela, email her at: email@example.com
Stop Uyghur Genocide’s Advisory Board includes:
- Mia Hasenson-Gross, Executive Director of Rene Cassin, the Jewish Voice of Human Rights.
- Roger Alton, Former Editor of the Observer and Independent. Contributing Editor of the Daily Mail.
- Blair McDougall, Former Special Adviser and Chief Executive of the Better Together Campaign.
- Edwin Shuker, former Vice President Board of Deputies of British Jews, Special Envoy to the President of the European Jewish Congress for Interfaith and Refugees.
- Benedict Rogers, Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party Human Rights Commission, Chief Executive of Hong Kong Watch.
- Luke de Pulford, Director of Arise Foundation, Co-founder of Coalition for Genocide Response, Member of the Conservative Party Human Rights Commission, Co-ordinator of the Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China (IPAC).
- Matthew Turner, Chair and Executive Director of the Labour Campaign for Human Rights.
- Mark Johnson, Former Parliamentary Assistant to Alastair Carmichael MP, Former Liberal Democratic Party Parliamentary Candidate.
- Michael Polak, Barrister at Church Court Chambers, Chair of Lawyers for Uyghur Rights.
- Dearblha Minogue, Legal Officer at Global Legal Action Network (GLAN).
- Dr Sheldon Stone BSc MD FRCP (retired), Rene Cassin Human Rights Fellow, World Uyghur Congress Campaign Associate.
Stop Uyghur Genocide is the campaign name for UYGHUR CAMPAIGN LTD which is registered as a company limited by guarantee in the UK SC673649
We can only operate with the generous support of our sponsors and supporters. In particular, we thank the Pears Foundation, whose support helped set up Stop Uyghur Genocide. Additionally, our thanks go to all whose donations allow us to campaign for the human rights of Uyghurs.